Join Funky Buddha Brewery and Cigar City Brewing as we celebrate two of our collective passions: craft beer and disc golf! The South Florida Beer Week Disc Golf Classic 2014 will take place at Easterlin Park on January 19 from 11am to 3pm. This entry-level tournament will feature a round of doubles disc golf with craft beer for all, prizes, a commemorative disc from Innova Disc Golf, and an awards ceremony held afterwards at Funky Buddha Brewery.
The idea behind the event is to bring together the craft beer community and disc golf community under one banner and introduce people to each other in one fun, easy-going afternoon. If you've never played disc golf or even sipped a craft beer, the SFBWDGC will be a great way to become familiar with both. Proceeds from the event will go towards the Florida Brewers' Guild, a non-profit organization that advocates for Florida's craft breweries.
Entree fee $20, includes the following:
- Tournament entree fee
- Park entry fee for that day ($1.50)
- Commemorative SFBW 2014 San Marino Roc DX stamped with our logo. This is a very all-purpose disc good for throwing off the tee, from the fairway, or putting.
- Canned beer from Cigar City Brewing on the course. Cans are a great vessel for beer, find out why here. (bottled water will be complimentary at the event) Please drink responsibly, and we will check ID! YOU MUST BE 21 OR OVER TO ATTEND.
- One beer at the awards ceremony and after party, held at Funky Buddha Brewery.
- 100% of all proceeds will be donated to the Florida Brewer's Guild, an advocate organization that fights for the rights of small, independent craft breweries in the state of Florida.
- Chance to win prizes and raffle from Funky Buddha, Cigar City, and Innova!
-Doubles best shot. Players will split up into teams of two, which can either be preselected or randomly drawn. Each player takes turns throwing, and whichever player's throw lands closest to the basket becomes the lie. Both teammates throw from that lie, and continue the same way until a basket is made. Each team will be paired up with another team to play the course together.
Schedule of Events:
11:00-11:30am: Check in at the park. We will have a tent set up across from hole 1.
11:30-11:50am: Quick disc golf 101 clinic held in front of our tents.
12pm: Tee off! We will begin the tournament at noon SHARP, so do not be late!
2:00-2:30pm: Turn in score cards at the main tent
3:00pm: After Party begins at Funky Buddha Brewery by the bocce courts
3:30pm: Awards ceremony
- Winners will be broken down into new or "green" players, and experienced players. Prizes will be awarded in both categories. They include:
- Innova Champion Glow discs
- Innova disc golf bags
- Innova towels, hats, and other accessories
- Funky Buddha Brewery gift certificates
- Cigar City Brewing merchandise
Disc golf is played much like traditional golf. Instead of a ball and clubs, however, players use a flying disc, or Frisbee®. The sport was formalized in the 1970's, and shares with "ball golf" the object of completing each hole in the fewest number of strokes (or, in the case of disc golf, fewest number of throws). A golf disc is thrown from a tee area to a target which is the "hole". the hole can be one of a number of disc golf targets; the most common is called a Pole Hole® an elevated metal basket. As a player progresses down the fairway, he or she must make each consecutive shot from the spot where the previous throw has landed. The trees, shrubs, and terrain changes located in and around the fairways provide challenging obstacles for the golfer. Finally, the "putt" lands in the basket and the hole is completed. Disc golf shares the same joys and frustrations of traditional golf, whether it's sinking a long putt or hitting a tree halfway down the fairway. There are few differences, though. Disc golf rarely requires a greens fee, you probably won't need to rent a cart, and you never get stuck with a bad "tee time." It is designed to be enjoyed by people of all ages, male and female, regardless of economic status.
Want to brush up before you play? Here's one video that will get you started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GwdghSH4rk&noredirect=1
More details and to register visit the eventbrite page.